Rats Ate $5K in a Pharmacy (Safe)

This happened in a 24 hour pharmacy in town. Everyone who happened to be around there have their own version of this story. I arrived at the scene rather late (crime). Rats, we were all suspicious how they managed to eat that all in hours.

Well, there seemed to be nothing wrong about that. The rats were regulars at the pharmacy, big in size and everyone had seen them. “You get the bag and fumble it, I get the bag and flip it and tumble it (yeah)”. These were street rats they must have done that (the later).

Investigation had already begun (Skr-Skr), not local, it was what they called a police case. Everyone was fatigued, everyone was a suspect! CCTVs were being scrutinized. At some point the clips were paused, zoomed and they had to rewind too.

Unanswered questions cluttered the pharmacy. I thanked the fact that I arrived late. How the rats opened the safe was still a mystery. Someone must have forgotten to lock the safe, but that still didn’t ring a bell. There was no sign of evidence that is usually left behind by rats making the whole situation complicated.

One member of staff had been seen to have entered the safe room, but he didn’t stay for long. This is a 24 hour pharmacy but certainly they decided to have it open late night instead. December is usually full of festivities so the management had technically awarded its staff opening late night instead of 24 hours as a present. Which, perhaps everyone seemed to enjoy. This means the pharmacy was closed between 12.30am to 8am.

Rats must have broken into the pharmacy at that time. Everyone seemed to agree to that. It made sense because the window was left open that previous night. The CCTV analysts decided to ignore the rats briefly to focus on staff a little because their eyeballs were becoming sore. Although the rats were the prime suspects, everyone was a suspect too.

The list of suspected staff kept shrinking, that cheered us up. I was happy, for once I could think about other things. They narrowed down to like four staff. One staff had stayed in the safe room for what the clip showed was a quarter of an hour. Perhaps he was the fugitive they were looking for.

No one knew he was diabetic. It shocked everyone when he said that he had stayed longer to check his blood glucose readings. This was an explanation but not a good one. No one was satisfied by the answer. They continued playing the clips and more and more questions came up. The immediate one being why he came out his linen ballooned. Followed by why had stayed outside the premises for what must have been more than half an hour. The answers he gave were quite sketchy.

Despite the suspicions, the videos did not give a clear picture how the money was lost. There was no compelling evidence whatsoever. The store manager was confused, upset and disoriented. He needed to have a proper explanation to the whole ordeal. There must be a way forward to this. Yes it was the rats that did it but how?

The four fugitives were required to pen down their explanation regarding the incidence. Chances of the insurance paying were very low gathering by the evidence so far. But you don’t just die like a goat there must be something to cling to. The pharmacy went back to normal (dispensing & some OTC prescribing nothing much) while the four walked around searching. I guessed they were either looking for a piece of paper or pen.

After half an hour, no one cared about time anyway-okay I don’t know how to put this but the list of suspected fugitives went down to three. Or maybe we only had one fugitive, because apparently one of them had disappeared. They said he had gone outside to get fresh air. This was a very sensitive matter, maybe he got attacked outside or worse he may have been kidnapped. The statement writing thing was then cancelled as they waited for him to return.

I was busy making sales on the other side. At that very moment I was busy showing some supplements to a client. George never came back; efforts to reach him on his phone were futile. He never came back two-three days later. A week passed.

Versions of how he must have accomplished the heist were everywhere in the pharmacy. This became news but it was spread like rumors.

It is sad that he went through that all. No one would be willing to use their tissues and muscles to that extent. He ran with bullet wounds on the tissues that cover his fibula!

Maybe he was disorganized or there was nothing he could do to help himself. But what still struck us the most as days went by was the fact that he’d showed up on that particular day.

I still debate with myself and come up with this concrete idea that he was going through a period only a man himself understands. I’m still impressed that he still considered that day the best he has lived (let me guess).

He too had another name in the streets. That we didn’t know. He had a hole he lived in in LA and a house with kids in Kite. His phone was off all the time, unless he had important calls. This meant it was very hard to trace him if you wanted to.

LA is full of crackheads and drunkards. If one plus one equals two then this is where thugs thrive and nature their talents which is… they need money to satisfy their addictive lifestyles.

George would call himself 8-MG in the streets. What happened to him is so unfortunate.

It was 7pm in the evening, 8-MG was in his hole in LA – a tiny pharmacy but well stocked. Police had a heads-up he resided in some E9 on fourth floor. He had just eaten and was smoking, sniffing and drinking according to his or prescription.

They knocked the door aggressively, like policemen. The volume of the radio inside went down. They knocked again. 8-MG opened the door came out closing it behind him. He looked like a rat!

“We know what you are worth!” one of them said.


    1. I am not good with titles, it just came up.

      Initially I wanted to write about how my homie was struggling with addiction, but that title itself convinced me to write about something else.

      I am glad the title caught your eyes and you could easily relate to

Leave a Reply